In 1948, the Parents Association for Cerebral Palsied Children was founded. A year later the group’s name was changed to The Kent County Association for Cerebral Palsied Children.
In 1950, a small building was rented to provide therapy for children. Four years later a new facility was built on Eugenie St. to accommodate the growing number of clients.
In 1960, the name was changed to the Kent County Children’s Treatment Centre.
The Kent County Children’s Treatment Centre, along with 12 other treatment centres in Ontario, met with the Easter Seal Society to discuss services to children with disabilities. This led to the Association of Treatment Centres of Ontario (ATCO).
In 1984, the current facility on Lark St. was opened and is six times the size of the previous location. Funding for this building was provided in part by the Ministry of Health and local private donations. These donations are recognized by the Tree of Hope’s leaves in the CTC lobby.
The year 1998 marked the 50th anniversary of the treatment centre. The Board of Directors built an accessible playground at the cost of $100,000. The playground was funded by donations from the Ronald McDonald’s Children’s Charities of Canada and the community. Ronald McDonald opened the playground in June at the Annual General Meeting.
In 1999, major renovations were planned. In 2000, when Kent County was changed to Chatham-Kent, the treatment centre changed its name to the Prism Centre for Audiology and Children’s Rehabilitation.
In 2009 our name was revised again and revealed to the community.
2006 marked the beginning of the Children’s Treatment Centre’s partnership with the exciting Best Start community initiative.
In 2013, The Children’s Treatment Centre of Chatham-Kent earned the prestigious Accreditation with Exemplary Standing award from Accreditation Canada.
In 2013, The new adaptive therapy playground was opened.
2016 – We continue to grow to better serve our community’s children!