Please note, this program has been put on hold by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services until further notice. For further information, please contact: Marnie Ball 519-354-0520 ext 243.
In Ontario schools Occupational Therapy (OT), Physiotherapy (PT) and some Speech – Language Therapy (SLP) services are provided by contracted service agencies. Later in the spring, the way these contracts are managed will be changing. Rest assured there will be no changes to the eligibility for service or the amount of service available to school age children.
Below is a summary of what will change later this spring, what will stay the same and why this change is happening.
Later this spring, in the majority of schools in Chatham-Kent, the Children’s Treatment Centre of Chatham Kent (CTC-CK) will be responsible to:
- manage the contracts for these services provided in Public and Catholic schools;
- receive and process referrals from school principals for these services.
The Erie St. Clair (LHIN) and their Care Coordinators will no longer be involved in the management of occupational therapy, speech language therapy and physiotherapy services in publicly funded schools.
Staying the Same
There will be no changes to the following:
- The contracted agencies providing OT, PT and SLP will stay the same;
- Eligibility for service remains unchanged;
- The amount of therapy available from these agencies will remain the same;
- The amount of funding available for therapy sessions in schools is the same;
- Erie St. Clair (LHIN) Care Coordinators will continue to manage OT, PT and SLP services in private schools and in the home;
- Nursing at school will still be provided by the Erie St. Clair (LHIN);
- SLP services currently provided by the school boards will continue to be provided by the school boards;
- School Principals will continue to make referrals for OT, PT, SLP services for children eligible to attend Grade One until graduation from high school.
- Any other services that children and youth currently receive from CTC-CK will stay the same.
Reason for the Change
The change in the contract management for these school therapy services resulted from work related to the Ontario Special Needs Strategy (OSNS). You can learn more about this initiative on our website https://ctc-ck.com/2017/01/ontario-special-needs-strategy-integrated-rehabilitation-services. CTC-CK will manage the contracts over the next year while a province-wide advisory committee determines a long-term plan for these services.
We will continue to provide updates as we learn more. In the meantime, if you have questions, please contact: Marnie Ball 519-354-0520 ext 243, or visit our website at www.ctc-ck.com.